Marina Yulo-Vargas Regional Program and Training Center
Marina Yulo-Vargas Regional Program and Training Center is a labor of love and a tribute to the combined efforts of both government and private sectors. The 8-hectare campsite itself is a donation of Cebu Province under the administration of former Governor Francisco Remotigue. This donation was initiated by the Visayas Regional Committee in 1963 under the leadership of Mrs. Milagros Araneta Villasor, GSP, Regional Chairman: Miss Lauaan V. Tamesis, former GSP Officer-in-Charge, Miss Lydia A. Villorosa, former GSP Regional Executive Director, Mrs. Rizalina Migallos, former Cebu GS Council President and the late Don Gil Garcia who helped greatly in the camp's initial development.
The construction of the training center and development of the camp was started in June 1963 with the release of P50,000.00 aid from GSP through Mrs. Maria Kalaw-Katigbak, former GSP, National President. The Visayas Councils also gave their share but the greater part of the funds came from the civic-spirited people of Cebu from the Cebu City Council and from the Cebu Provincial Board. The center was inaugurated on May 16, 1964.
Camp Marina is named after the late Mrs. Marina Yulo-Vargas, one of the charter members of the Girl Scout Movement. Mrs. Vargas who hailed from Iloilo City served as GSP National President from 1949-1951 and as National Treasurer from 1951-1955.
Focal point of the campsite is the chalet-type 3-storey building painted in maroon and white and situated in the highest slope overlooking the camp area. Other features are the Lawanit House donated by the Philippine Wallboard Corporation through the Tamesis Family which serves as a staff house during outdoor training and camping; a huge open air circular amphitheater carved out of the hill which can accommodate 2,000 campers; an outdoor Meditation Nook, donated by Negros Occidental GS Council; Camp Administration Building serving as Infirmary and donated by Cebu GS Council; a Spanish type Regional Equipment Service building; a big water tank donated by Mr. and Mrs. Roberto Petines which supplies water to the camp area; a Multi-Purpose Hall, a project of the region in celebration of its 25th year in 1989 during the Chairmanship of Mrs. Severiana B. Garcia who spearheaded the fund raising for the project. There are 5 units of outdoor latrines and bath cubicles for the camp areas.
Its facilities are also open to non-Girl Scout groups for seminars, conferences and meetings. The natural terrain of the campsite and facilities promise not only comfort but beauty as well, for its guests, campers and trainees. Marina Yulo-Vargas Regional Program and Training Center therefore stands as a concrete symbol of the community's wholehearted support and acceptance of Girl Scouting.
For further information about bookings and reservations you may e-mail, visit or contact:
MRS. AIDA C. SAROMINES
Visayas Regional Executive Director
Marina Yulo-Vargas Regional Program and Training Center (MYV RPTC)
Capitol Hills, 6000 Cebu City , PHILIPPINES
Telephone : +63 (32) 253-6550
Fax : +63 (32) 255-5344